Get help with learning and certification
If you are a caregiver going through Basic Training and preparing to become a certified Home Care Aide (HCA), you can get guidance and support from Peer Mentors!
Peer Mentors are certified caregivers themselves, with years of experience caregiving as well as coaching other caregivers through the certification process.
You can get support by:
- Attending a Skills Demonstration Live Online Webinar.
- Scheduling a 30-minute phone support session.
- Emailing a Peer Mentor.
All caregivers logging in to My Benefits for the first time since December 7, 2020 will need to create a new account. Here’s how Peer Mentors can help:
- Join their free weekly webinar. Hosted every Wednesday from 5 to 6 p.m., Peer Mentors go over the My Benefits account activation process and answer any questions you may have.
- How to join: On Wednesday at 5 p.m., click on this link to join the Zoom meeting.
- If you cannot join the weekly webinar, a Peer Mentor can help over the phone. To schedule a private support session, you can call them at 855-803-2095 or email Peer.Mentorship@myseiubenefits.org.
30-Minute Support Session (Phone)
You can schedule a half hour phone call with a Peer Mentor. The session can help you refresh skills learned in class and gain confidence in caregiving. You can schedule a support session at any time—as you start caregiving, as you prepare for your HCA certification exam or even after you have already taken and passed the exam. Get help with:
- Basic Training skills.
- Confidence in caregiving.
- Caregiving tips.
- The HCA certification process, including exam preparation.
You can schedule a call for any time 9 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Call or email to schedule your support session: 855-803-2095 or Peer.Mentorship@myseiubenefits.org
Skills Demonstration (Live, Online Webinar)
Peer Mentors host weekly skills demonstration sessions for caregivers who would like to refresh their skills learned in training. Webinars are hosted every Friday from 11 a.m. to noon and from 5 to 6 p.m.
Call or email a Peer Mentor to sign up for a webinar at 855-803-2095 or Peer.Mentorship@myseiubenefits.org.
Email/Phone Information and Peer Mentor Hours
Peer Mentors are available 9 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. When you call, Peer Mentors may be on the phone supporting other caregivers. Please leave a message with the best date and time to return your call. You will hear from a Peer Mentor within 24-48 hours.
They can be reached at 855-803-2095 or Peer.Mentorship@myseiubenefits.org.
Need Help in Another Language?
In addition to English, you can speak with a Peer Mentor in the following languages:
- All other languages can be served via a language line.
Scroll down below to sign up for our free online session!
Are you new to caregiving? Could use some support, encouragement or guidance?
We understand being a new caregiver can be both gratifying and overwhelming. It’s important to us to support you on your path to success. We’ve set up a Peer Mentor support line for you to call when you’re looking for skills or training support or when you just want to talk with someone who can relate to what you’re going through.
Our Peer Mentors are certified Home Care Aides trained to support you. Mentors can help:
- Clarify expectations as you prepare for training
- Coach or tutor you throughout Basic Training
- Apply skills learned in training to the realities on-the-job
- Guide you through a professional challenge or dilemma
- Be a resource to discuss professional growth opportunities
- Provide general support or encouragement
Contact an experienced peer mentor today at 855-803-2095 (toll-free) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support line hours are Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Please leave a message if a mentor is not immediately available. You will receive a call back within one business day.
Do you have questions about the exam process for Home Care Aide Certification? We can help with our FREE online session!
Register for our online session where we’ll cover the basics – from the DOH application, to the Prometric emails, to the exam itself.
During the session, we’ll also answer any questions you may have.
You’re only registered if you see “Your response has been recorded” after hitting submit.
- Individuals who have completed Orientation & Safety
- Students enrolled in/waiting to take Basic Training 70
- Individuals preparing to take or re-take the certification exam
- Newly certified Home Care Aides
Peer mentorship can reduce anxiety by providing clarity around the realities of being a Home Care Aide and helping you navigate the process of working toward certification.
Students who received support say they experienced improved confidence in their skills and reduced test anxiety, and report feeling more prepared for the certification exam.
Students can use up to 12 free hours of peer mentoring support.
Peer mentoring is one-on-one support through phone and email to provide general encouragement to acquire new skills as you navigate caregiving.
The Member Resource Center (MRC) can help answer questions about health care benefits, retirement benefits, and training schedules. The Member Resource Center is available to support you Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. You can reach the MRC at 1-866-371-3200 or via email at MRC@myseiubenefits.org.