Designed for You
Self-care for caregivers
Caregiving can be very rewarding, and it can also be stressful–especially since caregivers often put the needs of their clients first.
Up to 50% of caregivers experience anxiety and 1 in 5 caregivers are at risk for moderate-to-severe depression. It’s important to be aware of warning signs so you know when to focus on self care or to ask for help.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), symptoms of depression and anxiety include:
- Frequently feeling sad or anxious.
- Losing interest in activities that used to be fun.
- Feeling irritable, frustrated or restless.
- Waking up too early or not sleeping enough.
- Eating more or less than usual, or not having an appetite.
- Having difficulty concentrating or making decisions.
- Feeling guilty, helpless or worthless.
There are many free and low-cost benefits for caregivers that can help address anxiety and depression:
- Headspace Care (formerly Ginger), the free smartphone app that gives you immediate, 24/7 access to personalized emotional support and life guidance.
- Tools for Calm, a one hour per week for 6 weeks instructor-led, live video course on mindfulness. Along with other caregivers, you will learn new and practical ways to deal with the stress and challenges in your life. This is a CE course available for all active caregivers for 6 credits, who have not previously taken the course.
- Resource Finder, a confidential tool that helps connect caregivers and their family members in need of personal life help with free and low-cost services such as access to emotional support, and childcare, legal or debt support.
- Professional support is also available through your healthcare coverage*. This includes medication, individual and group therapy and alternative care and other benefits depending on your health plan provider.
*When you have coverage as a caregiver. If you are not currently enrolled in healthcare coverage and want to apply, you can do so during Open Enrollment from July 1-20 or if you have a Qualifying Live Event. Learn more about different healthcare options, and find out if you are eligible for healthcare coverage through SEIU 775 Benefits Group.
Videos for Caregivers from Caregivers: Self-Care Tips
Watch these self-care videos for tips from caregivers for work and life, and the emotional wellbeing programs that help them the most.
For more self-care videos, visit the SEIU 775 Benefits Group YouTube channel.
Many organizations across the country also currently offer online resources for additional emotional support.