Information for Peer Mentoring Participants
Are you seeking peer learning experiences and a network of support from experienced home care aides who share similar interest and passions? The Peer Mentoring Program has an outstanding opportunity to match you with an experienced mentor to strengthen your professional development and support your emotional demands on the job in long-term care. Read below for more details and for how to apply.
What kinds of professional skills will I gain through peer mentoring?
As a program participant, you will work with their mentors to strengthen professional skills and behaviors. Topics that you will cover with your peer mentor include:
- Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Professional Relationships and Behaviors
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Goal Setting
- Support and Resources
Please note that the Peer Mentoring program is not designed to provide participants with any medical or consumer-related advice, recommendations, assistance, or similar communication.
What is the Time Commitment?
- Roughly 3 months
- A minimum of 12 hours, including:
- At least 12 hours, one hour per week, working one-on-one with your mentor following Peer Mentoring curriculum
- An additional, optional 1-2 hours with program staff to provide ideas and feedback
How to apply?
- Applicants should be current employed home care aides in good standing, can commit to at least one hour of mentoring a week for about twelve weeks, and a resident of Washington State. New or entry-level home care aides who have been employed for less than years are encouraged to apply!
- Complete our online application through this link. Our application deadline is rolling, but the sooner you apply, the better!
- Our program staff will contact you to explain the program, ensure your eligibility for the program, answer any questions you may have, and match you with an experienced Home Care Aide who will serve as your peer mentor.
For additional questions please contact:
Paul Chandanabhumma, Project Coordinator – Strategic Initiatives
SEIU Healthcare NW Training Partnership
Toll-Free Peer Mentoring line: 1-855-266-5200